The Cèze Valley is a region crammed with history, with remnants from prehistoric times to the Middle Age.
In this valley, at the place named “Saint Nabor”, we find the remains of a Paleochristian cemetery. During centuries of ploughing, fragments of old tomb stones were scattered all over; and these are a witness to the nature and the origin of the cemetery.
The origin of the name “Saint Nabor” is still an enigma. The “Dictionary of Christian Archeology and Liturgy” of 1934 tells us about a Donatist Deacon named Nabor (IVth century). We also find a Saint Nabor in the book “Catholicism, Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow” of 1982, an African warrior in the Maximinus Army in Milan, who converted to Christianity. Without texts, we can only formulate hypotheses concerning the place named “Saint Nabor” in Cornillon.
The legend that was told by our ancestors, talks about a Templar named Saint Nabor who, returning from the Crusades had brought back Holy relics on the back of a Camel. According to this legend Saint Nabor left the camel to decide where he would stop, saying that the relics would find their final place there. In order to preserve the relics, a chapel was constructed.
We find a town called Saint Nabor in the Bas-Rhin; recently a similar story has been told to us concerning the origin of Saint Nabor. Big surprise, there is a painting that represents a camel escorted by Templars; this painting is preserved in a chapel in the town of Saint Nabor.